Today I’m going to talk about pick holders.
Over the past 20+ years I have been playing guitars, I have a had a few different ways to store guitar picks, none of them very good…
- I would put picks in every single gig back and case I own…but yet, somehow end up with out a pick.
- Sprinkle them throughout my car. You know, in the seats, in the dashboard, put some in the glove box.
- Tuck one or two in my cellphone case, only to find that now I have a pick shape worn out spot on the phone I was trying to protect.
- The old plastic box thing Fender picks come in, which always gets smashed
- Old sandwich bag…what? It’s cheap, but on the down side, my picks were always smellin’ like ham sandwiches.
- Altoids tin…Actually this is a fresh way to store your picks! Probably second best way to store picks right after…
The Thrift Store Wooden Box Pick Holders!!!
Anyway, this all started when I had some custom picks made for one of my bandmates as a birthday present. While looking for a cool way to present a hundred or so picks and happened to end up at my local Savers thrift store. They had all sorts of cool old things to put these picks in. I ended up getting him some silly ceramic baby turtle sugar bowl to hold his picks and then found myself my rad wooden America themed box. This is the best box, I really scored. I don’t remember what I paid, but it was probably $2 or $3 bucks. This box was probably custom made because it came with a fortune cookie fortune with the following inscription:
ALL ROUND BOXES HAVE AN ELLIPTICAL SHAPE–THE LID WILL LOCK ON & OFF LIKE A JAR. IF THE LID GETS STUCK–PRY IT OFF & START OVER. ALL THE ROUNDS ARE DECORATED ON THEIR LIDS, FROM THE LARGEST WITH THE MOST DETAIL TO THE MINI ROUNDS WITH THE CARVING & STAINING. SOME HAVE EXTRA DETAIL WORK ON THE BASE, & SOME EVEN HAVE KNOBS. Boxes by Mary (480) 899-2058
(I think that’s what the phone number says…maybe don’t try calling…but if you do call it, let me know how it goes and how Mary is doing, oh and let Mary know how I enjoy her mini boxes for storing my picks.)
Anyways, I liked this box so much that I decided I want to take this one to our practice space and buy a new one for home. After a few months of looking around I found another great box! I call it Blep Kitty box. Again, I think I paid a couple bucks for it. The down side is that it doesn’t have whole “jar lock on lid,” but it’s still pretty great and can hang out with me at home. It’s pretty hilarious and a fun way to store some picks!
Thanks for reading and watching my pick holders video!